News from the NHTG July 2017

The NHTG

National Heritage Training Group
Newsletter July 2017

Editorial

Dear Reader

Training has been in the news recently with CITB announcing new funding for training. Whether you’re a federation or an employer with less than 100 employees you could be eligible for up to £10K of funding for the delivery of skills and training with the CITB skills and training flexible fund. Find out more and apply by emailing [email protected].

Our HLF-funded series of built heritage courses are in full swing with more coming up towards the end of the summer. We have two heritage courses in Lincoln and Ripon and three blocks of Heritage Wood Occupations and Heritage Stone Masonry SUP and SAP training. See below for more details and to book a place.

With best wishes for the summer

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

NHTG Training Courses

Understanding Repair and Maintenance of Traditional (Pre-1919) Buildings Course

3rd – 4th August, Lincoln
28th – 29th September, North Yorkshire

Lincoln imageComing up over the next few months the NHTG is running a series of Heritage courses across the country, all funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of our Bursary scheme.

These courses are always popular with home owners, craftspeople, contractors and heritage professionals. Set over two days the course focuses on the repair and maintenance of traditional buildings, with participants learning the theory and practicalities of conserving traditional buildings from industry experts. As part of the course participants will undertake a short test, to gain units towards the Level 3 Heritage NVQ, CPD Certificates will also be provided.

To book a place please email with your contact details: [email protected] Tel: 01497 831125 Joining instructions, the programme and a payment invoice will be sent to applicants.

Heritage Wood Occupations and Stonemasonry SAP and SUP courses

11th - 22nd September, Hereford

These Heritage SAP and SUP courses are for stonemasonry, carpentry and joinery resulting in the Level 3. The courses are a combination of lectures and practical work at historic sites and can be an integral part of working towards an NVQ Level Three in Heritage Skills. Upon completion of the NVQ portfolio and assessment (within 12 months of registration) the candidate can apply for a CSCS Gold Card (increasingly necessary for Heritage contracts). Courses are run from the workshop in Clifford on the Powys/Herefordshire border near the picturesque town of Hay-on-Wye. Practical sessions will give you the opportunity to work on local historic buildings including the stunning Hay Castle.  

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Conservation Materials Practical Course

8th – 9th August, Lichfield  
This intensive conservation course will provide hands-on training in technical and practical skills in the repair and maintenance of an 18th century walled garden in Lichfield. You can attend both days or just day one only. Day one consists of a theoretical lecture outlining assessment and analysis of traditional brickwork, as well as demonstrations of traditional techniques such as tuck pointing. Day two is a practical day with repair to historic garden wall, which trainees can take part in.  

Summer Training Courses at the Scottish Lime Centre Trust 

The Scottish Lime Centre Trust promotes the knowledge and traditional skills required for the conservation, repair and maintenance of the historic built environment. The SLCT works nationally and internationally to provide advice, guidance and traditional skills training for anyone dealing with a historic structure, be it an A-listed castle or a garden wall.

Based in Fife, the SLCT offers a range of accredited, taster and CPD built heritage training courses. Visit the SLCT website

Introduction to Lime Based Mortars for Civil and Structural Engineers CE1

18th August, Fife  
SLCTThis one day introductory workshop introduces the range of lime and early patented cement based mortars that have been used in the past for the construction of our built heritage. But in many cases, we are asking these structures to outperform any of the expectations that their original designers intended which can leave us with various ‘headaches’ to deal with, without spoiling their beautiful aesthetics. There are now a wide range of lime and natural cement binders and other additives (based on historic additives) that can be used to emulate both the technical and aesthetic performance of original mortars. This course is suitable for Structural and Civil Engineers and their technicians including those that look after our roads and railway network, contractors working on unprotected masonry structures and custodians of our industrial heritage.  

Making and Using Traditional Mortars C1-Contractor Level 1 

22 – 23rd August, Fife  
The content of this workshop provides the underpinning knowledge required for assessment and accreditation of SQA National Unit 1 – ‘Preparing and Using Basic Lime Mixes’.
This practical course is aimed at building contractors and those undertaking repair works to traditional masonry structures.

Repair and Maintenance of Masonry Arch Bridges Masterclass 

25th August, Fife  
This one day masterclass looks at all aspects of masonry arch bridge construction and the materials utilised to determine the most appropriate repair schemes. It is suitable for building professionals, contractors, engineers and others involved in heritage work.  

Repairing Traditional Masonry P1- Professional Level 1

29th – 30th August, Fife  
This two day workshop for building professionals and provides an introduction to the effective conservation and repair of traditional masonry structures and buildings, for the most part using traditional lime based mortars. This course is aimed at those who work with, own or are responsible for traditional buildings. Suitable for building and heritage professionals such as architects, surveyors or planners the course would also be of interest to homeowners, those responsible for maintenance works to traditional buildings or those considering a renovation or conversion project.  

news and JObs

Apply now: The Philip Webb Award 2017

SPABNamed in honour of the SPAB’s co-founder, architect Philip Webb, the Award encourages and celebrates the sympathetic reuse of old buildings and sensitive new design in an historic context.

It’s a unique opportunity for students and architects in the early stages of their career to demonstrate their understanding of repair techniques, and their engagement with the SPAB’s principles in fitting new to old, as well as their design flair

National Trust Director General quits for job at Oxford College

Dame Helen Ghosh has announced that she will be stepping down as Director General of the National Trust in March next year. Ghosh has led the conservation charity since 2012 and has announced that she will become master of Balliol College at Oxford University in April 2018.  

Contracts in place for the Palace of Westminster renovation

Architectural and building design company BDP and project management company CH2M have won the contract to restore the Palace of Westminster.

The Grade I listed building and the home to Parliament is in dire need of renovation. Many of the building's features and systems such as heating, ventilation, water, drainage and electrical systems have not been updated since it was originally built in the 1880s. As a result the building is a risk of fire or another a catastrophic failure.

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on 9am-5pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Above Eaves Level P1 - Traditional Slate Roofs

This two day course aims to provide an introductory guide to traditional Scottish roofs including function, structure, types of trusses, external roof shapes, typical details and decorative features and the causes of deterioration.

Timber Buildings – An Engineer’s Perspective

This talk looks at the evolution of timber building in Essex from an engineer's perspective, the challenges involved in maintaining the buildings and, where appropriate, modifying them for new uses.

Sash and Case Window Repairs

Don’t rip out your sash and case windows, did you know that in most cases you can undertake simple repairs add and retain this period feature?