News from the NHTG August 2017

The NHTG

National Heritage Training Group
Newsletter August 2017

Editorial

Dear Reader

We are excited to announce that the NHTG is now offering a membership scheme and inviting members to join us.

Membership is open to those whose businesses are principally engaged in providing services for the historic building sector, undertaking the conservation, repair and maintenance of Pre-1919 buildings. So if you are a contractor, material supplier, support services or trade associated federation, the NHTG aim will be to support your individual needs.

The NHTG is the leading body for the development and support of traditional building skills training and qualifications and promotes the value in supporting the sustainability and viability of the UK’s historic built environment. The full list of membership benefits can be read here.

To apply to become a member, please contact me on the number below.

We hope to speak to you soon!

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

NHTG Training Courses

Understanding Repair and Maintenance of Traditional (Pre-1919) Buildings Course

28th – 29th September, North Yorkshire  

Heritage Lottery LogoOver the last few months the NHTG has run a series of Heritage courses across the country, all funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of our Bursary scheme.

These courses are always popular with home owners, craftspeople, contractors and heritage professionals. Set over two days the course focuses on the repair and maintenance of traditional buildings, with participants learning the theory and practicalities of conserving traditional buildings from industry experts. As part of the course participants will undertake a short test, to gain units towards the Level 3 Heritage NVQ, CPD Certificates will also be provided.

To book a place please email with your contact details: [email protected] Tel: 01497 831125 Joining instructions, the programme and a payment invoice will be sent to applicants.

Heritage Wood Occupations and Stonemasonry SAP and SUP courses

11th - 22nd September, Hereford

These Heritage SAP and SUP courses are for stonemasonry, carpentry and joinery resulting in the Level 3. The courses are a combination of lectures and practical work at historic sites and can be an integral part of working towards an NVQ Level Three in Heritage Skills. Upon completion of the NVQ portfolio and assessment (within 12 months of registration) the candidate can apply for a CSCS Gold Card (increasingly necessary for Heritage contracts). Courses are run from the workshop in Clifford on the Powys/Herefordshire border near the picturesque town of Hay-on-Wye. Practical sessions will give you the opportunity to work on local historic buildings including the stunning Hay Castle.  

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Conservation Materials Practical Course

4th - 5th September, Lichfield  
This intensive conservation course will provide hands-on training in technical and practical skills in the repair and maintenance of an 18th century walled garden in Lichfield. You can attend both days or just day one only.  

Timber Frame Repairs

6th - 8th September, Suffolk/Essex Border  
This three-day course offers the opportunity to learn new skills while working on a traditional timber-framed building. The focus during this course will be on increasing awareness of the need to continue working with traditional materials in a traditional style to ensure the survival and continuation of our built heritage and craft skills. The course has been designed for working carpenters and joiners, but homeowners with basic skills are very welcome.  

RICS and SPAB Building Conservation Summer School

10th -  14th September, Cirencester  
Spanning five days, this event aims to reinforce undergraduate and graduate training in traditional buildings, construction techniques and materials, as well as support new surveyors and other specialists in this field. You will benefit from the ability to tailor your agenda to include a choice of lectures, case studies, practical workshops and site visits with unprecedented access to leading experts in the field.  

Intensive Training - Assessment and Accreditation (C1, C2 and SQA National Units 1,2 & 3 in Conservation Masonry)

11th - 15th September, Fife  
A five day workshop and assessment. Course content includes understanding of lime technology, harling and renders, surface repair of stone and much more. This course would be suitable for those with previous masonry repair experience and trowel skills.  

Building Conservation in Practice 

14th September, Cirencester  
Chaired by Stephen Boniface FRICS, Partner, The Whitworth Partnership LLP, this one day event will provide you with the opportunity to learn from a hands on practical workshop focusing on lime mortars, plastering and pointing. Participants will benefit from reviewing live case studies of building conservation projects focusing on the challenges faced and how to avoid pitfalls when working with historic buildings.  

Traditional Building Heritage Crafts Day at Southwell Minster

16th September, Nottinghamshire  
A unique one day event at Southwell Minster will offer visitors a rare chance to marvel at the work of a wide range of skilled specialists in building conservation. With stalls and live demonstrations on the south side of the Minster, the Heritage Crafts Fair will include ironwork, stonemasonry, brickwork restoration, stained glasswork, lead roofing, signwriting, timber and plaster conservation, calligraphy, bookbinding, church textiles and possibly the work of a bell foundry.  

Understanding Building Conservation

19th - 20th September, London  
If you have a passion for conservation, and want to develop specialist knowledge and skills, this is your first step towards specialisation. The course will also enable you to apply for recognition of your skills and experience in the forthcoming CIOB Building Conservation Certification Scheme in 2017. It will be based on 20 notional hours of learning, made up of 14 hours structured classroom learning over two days and online pre-course learning. The classroom course includes an examination, and is pitched at a Level 3 award standard.  

Lime Mortar and Conservation Brickwork 

20th - 22nd September, Essex  
This three-day course aims to encourage correct brickwork repair and the use of lime mortar. We will also look at a selection of different pointing styles. The course is aimed at working bricklayers or those with experience who would like to broaden their knowledge in conservation techniques under the tutorage of Mac Knox-Weir, one of the highest qualified bricklayers in the UK who has spent over 40 years working with brickwork, including the repair of historic buildings.  

Conservation and Repair of Stone Masonry

25th - 28th September, West Sussex  
This course provides a comprehensive study of building and decorative stone from its formation and extraction through to its repair and maintenance in the building context. The programme includes basic geology of building and decorative stone; a detailed description of decay mechanisms of limestone, sandstone, marble, slate and granite; traditional construction methods; modes of failure; large and small scale repair options; cleaning methods, surface treatment and remedial work; specification and costing.  

Sapperton Symposium: Architectural History and Arts and Crafts in the Cotswolds 

28th September, Cirencester  
A one-day symposium exploring the architectural history and arts and crafts heritage of a Gloucestershire parish. The event celebrates The Churches Conservation Trust’s 350th church acquisition at St Kenelm’s, Sapperton.  The combination of talks and presentations will provide space in which to network with likeminded academics and professionals from the arts, heritage and conservation sectors.  

news and JObs

Job Opportunity: Development Officer, Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA)

The PMSA offers a new opportunity for an aspiring person seeking a career in the culture and heritage sector. The PMSA wants a person to help it reinforce its role as the leading organisation promoting and supporting public sculpture in the UK. The charity’s work includes recording the public sculpture of Britain, undertaking art history research, organising conferences and publishing books. Working with a wide range of organisations in the heritage sector especially Historic England and a partnership with Art UK on a £4m project there is every opportunity for someone to make their mark in the sector and ensure that the PMSA is set for a secure future.  

Job Opportunity: The Churches Conservation Trust: Volunteering Officer, North

Do you have the skills and passion for involving local people in saving historic buildings? The Churches Conservation Trust is looking for someone to join a talented team to recruit, develop and support volunteer teams to ensure that a collection of 36 historic churches across three counties realise their potential as visitor attractions and venues for events. The successful candidate will be based in one of the three counties of South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire that they will be covering.  

SPAB opens its doors to the public

SPAB is taking part in Open House on Saturday 16th September 10 am – 5 pm. The Grade II listed Georgian town house will be open to the general public. Visitors will be able to have a go at traditional heritage crafts, talk about their old property with an expert and have a look through the SPAB’s 140 year-old-archives.  

Big Ben falls silent for restoration work

Big Ben, the giant bell, which forms part of the Great clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster has fallen silent for major repair work, until 2021. It will be used for special occasions including New Year’s Eve. Repair works include restored roofing of the Elizabeth tower, repairing of the bell frame and a lift is to be installed. The roof of the Elizabeth Tower will be stripped off and restored, the bell frame repaired, leaks into the clock room stemmed and a lift installed.  

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on 9am-5pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

This course provides a comprehensive study of building and decorative stone from its formation and extraction through to its repair and maintenance in the building context.

Understanding Repair and Maintenance of Traditional (Pre 1919) Buildings Courses

Of interest to crafts persons, builders and professionals – a two day course on Repair and Maintenance of Traditional Buildings.

A one-day symposium exploring the architectural history and arts and crafts heritage of a Gloucestershire parish.