News from the NHTG, September 2017

The NHTG

National Heritage Training Group
Newsletter September 2017

Editorial

Dear Reader

Louis Clarke, Stonemason and NHTG traineeWith the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, the NHTG is running a two day course in Bristol in November, which will showcase a whole range of built heritage crafts to repair and maintain old buildings. These include stonemasonry, joinery and decorative moulding in lime plaster and more. The course will have demonstrations in the workshop, lectures and delegates will be able to have a go at some of the crafts. Find out more and how to book below.

Last month we announced the NHTG membership scheme and we are pleased to have had many enquiries. Membership is open to those whose businesses are principally engaged in providing services for the historic building sector, undertaking the conservation, repair and maintenance of Pre-1919 buildings. So if you are a contractor, material supplier, support services or trade associated federation, the NHTG aim will be to support your individual needs. Find out more about becoming a member here.

Our HLF -funded bursary scheme is in full swing, here is a photo of one of our trainees Louis Clark, Stonemason. You can follow the updates and see photos of the trainees at work on a range of built heritage projects on our twitter page here https://twitter.com/nhtg_news

Do get in touch if you have any questions.

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

NHTG Training Courses

Building skills for old buildings weekend course

10th - 11th November, Bristol  
This NHTG two day course will be held in a built heritage crafts workshop in Bristol with live demonstrations and talks. There will be demonstrations in the workshop of lime mortar rendering, decorative plaster moulding, heavy post and beam construction, cruciform Jacobean window construction and more.

There will be examples of timber frame models and complex roofing styles including octagonal and hexagonal spires. There will also be displays of stone and brick walling and stone carving. There will be opportunities for delegates to have a go at some of the crafts. Full Programme coming soon here.

This event is open to anyone with an interest in built heritage: contractors, homeowners, craftspeople and students.

To book a place please contact Sophie Keegan on 01246 252 363 (please leave a message) or email [email protected]  

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Heritage Trust Network Annual Conference

3rd - 4th October, Hull  
The theme of this conference is Inspiring Heritage for All and will take place in Hull, this year's city of culture. A  jam-packed programme of expert  speakers, workshops, advisory sessions, and a walking tour of Hull's old town in collaboration with the Yorkshire IHBC.  

Lime and conservation brickwork

4th - 6th October, Hertfordshire  
This three-day course is aimed at providing working bricklayers, and those who would like to increase their knowledge in conservation techniques, the opportunity to learn the correct repair of historic brickwork and use of lime mortar. The course will be run at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, taking place in the wonderful setting of the 17th Century kitchen garden.  

Conservation Areas: What Makes Them Special and Keeping Them Special

6th October, Essex  
2017 will mark the 50th anniversary of the Private Members’ Bill that first introduced the concept of Conservation Areas. The first of this pair of lectures will examine understanding place, and how to undertake Conservation Area Appraisals. The second lecture will consider the tools available to Local Authorities to preserve or enhance the character and appearance of their Conservation Areas.

The lectures will be given by David Grech, a retired architect who, after spending 25 years in general practice, chose to focus the latter part of his career on historic building conservation

Masonry Cleaning

9th - 12th October, Sussex  
This is a comprehensive course for architects, surveyors and practitioners which covers the complex aesthetic, technical and practical issues involved in cleaning masonry (including brick and terracotta). The programme includes technical presentations that provide a sound theoretical basis for making decisions on cleaning techniques, as well as practical sessions where participants will have the opportunity to see and use a variety of cleaning systems. The course will also cover the removal of paint and biological growth from masonry and options for surface treatment following cleaning.  

Timber Frame Repairs

13th October, Essex  
This session is divided into two illustrated talks with the first session looking at what repair methods might be appropriate to heavy carpentry and the tools that a modern carpenter might use. The second session will look at case studies of timber frames that some may consider to have been beyond reasonable repair.

The second session will look at case studies of timber frames that some may consider to have been beyond reasonable repair. Some points on design, engineering along with the need for clear drawings and method statements will also be discussed. The morning should provide specifiers, homeowners and craftsmen with plenty of ideas for the effective repair of historic carpentry.

Defects in Cavity Walls

17th October, London  
There is growing concern around failed cavity wall installations and the impact they are having on homes and their occupants. With this defect becoming more and more prevalent its vital that surveyors can understand the problems that can result from cavity wall insulation. This seminar will provide: guidance on how to identify when a cavity wall installation has not been installed correctly, examples and case studies of when cavity walls have gone wrong, techniques for reporting these defects appropriately to the client.  

RIBA Conservation Course

19th October, Birmingham  
The RIBA Conservation Course is an important step on the ladder towards a specialism in conservation.It will provide you with a framework of knowledge and understanding to support your decision making process on projects and enable you to apply for recognition of your skills within the RIBA and other Conservation Accreditation Schemes. The course is aimed at architects and other construction professionals who wish to develop practical knowledge in conservation architecture.  

Working with Historic Brickwork: Approaches to Practical Problems

20th October, Essex  
This three-day course aims to encourage correct brickwork repair and the use of lime mortar. We will also look at a selection of different pointing styles. The course is aimed at working bricklayers or those with experience who would like to broaden their knowledge in conservation techniques under the tutorage of Mac Knox-Weir, one of the highest qualified bricklayers in the UK who has spent over 40 years working with brickwork, including the repair of historic buildings.  

news and JObs

Victorian Society reveals the top 10 endangered buildings

The Victorian Society has released its annual Top 10 Endangered Buildings list. The list recognises Victorian and Edwardian buildings and structures throughout England and Wales. All the buildings on the list are abandoned and have been derelict for over 50 years, so are close to being lost forever.
The 2017 list includes two Victorian cemetery chapels designed by Alfred Waterhouse, the architect behind London’s Natural History Museum; a former glassworks in the Midlands which produced glass for the clock faces of Big Ben; an Edwardian seaside pavilion which enjoyed life as a tearoom, theatre and snooker club before being shut up and abandoned; and a huge former railway warehouse. Read the full list here.

Scottish Lime Centre Trust celebrates with Prince Charles

Earlier this month Scottish Lime Centre Trust (SLCT) received a visit from HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay to celebrate their 20,000th learner, Colin Rowan of Rowan Stoneworks.  

Heritage and the Economy

The historic environment has a close connection to economic activity. A great many of our jobs and enterprises are dependent on, attracted to or based in historic buildings and spaces.

The Heritage and the Economy 2017 report by published by Historic England, summarises findings from studies on heritage and economic activity and also introduces new research: the Heritage Economic Impact Indicator Workbook 2017. 

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on 9am-5pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

RIBA Advanced Conservation Course (2 days)

The RIBA Advanced Conservation Course is an important step in developing your specialism in conservation.

Investigating and Remedying Dampness and Timber Decay in Historic Buildings

In this lecture we will examine the problems of dampness and timber decay in historic and traditionally-constructed buildings. The lecture will also cover different approaches to remedial action and will be illustrated with case studies.

Building Craft skills to help preserve, repair & maintain our Heritage built environment two day event

At this NHTG two day course will be held in a built heritage crafts workshop in Bristol with live demonstrations and talks.