News and Events from the NHTG, November 2017

The NHTG

Editorial

Dear Reader

Interesting news this week is the results of a recent study commissioned by the
National Trust, which aimed to understand people’s emotional connections to place.

Intense feelings of wellbeing, belonging and contentment are evoked by visiting
special places far more than looking at photographs. As part of the research for
the Places That Make Us report experts at Surrey University conducted fMRI
scans as well as in-depth interviews to understand the ‘visceral but intangible
feeling more deeply’. The study found that places that are meaningful invoke a
sense of calm as well as giving individuals feelings of contentment and thinking
space.

November is a bumper month for built heritage training and events, so it's a great
time to get involved. In a few weeks the NHTG is running a HLF-funded two day
workshop of built heritage crafts in Bristol. There will be demonstrations in the
workshop of lime mortar rendering, decorative plaster moulding, heavy post and
beam construction, cruciform Jacobean window construction and more. Details of
how to book below.

Best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

NHTG Training Courses

Building skills for Old buildings weekend course

10th - 11th November, Bristol  

This NHTG two day course will be held in a built heritage crafts workshop in Bristol with live demonstrations and talks. There will be demonstrations in the workshop of lime mortar rendering, decorative plaster moulding, heavy post and beam construction, cruciform Jacobean window construction and more.

There will be examples of timber frame models and complex roofing styles including octagonal and hexagonal spires. There will also be displays of stone and brick walling and stone carving. There will be opportunities for delegates to have a go at some of the crafts.

This event is open to anyone with an interest in built heritage: contractors, homeowners, craftspeople and students.

This event is free to attend as it is subsidised by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Please contact Nigel Howe either by email [email protected], phone mornings 01275462242, or mobile 07899794125, to book onto this course.

EVENTS AND TRAINING

The Conservation and Management of Rural Buildings

6th- 7th November, Leicester  

This course will explore the conservation, management, and development of rural sites, and includes a field trip to visit current projects and recent building work. This course is for historic environment managers and professionals encountering historic rural buildings as part of consultancy work and decision-making.

Built Heritage and Our Digital Legacy

8th November, Leicester

The course is aimed primarily at historic building specialists working in commercial, independent and research environments, who have little experience in digital data management or preparing data for archiving. The course will be of particular interest to those who maintain large data sets and need to more efficiently manage and preserve their data for the future.

RIBA Advanced Conservation Course

9th - 10th November, Birmingham  
The RIBA Advanced Conservation Course is an important step in developing your specialism in conservation. The course is aimed at architects and other built environment professionals who have attended the RIBA four day conservation course or other conservation courses.  

Heritage Buildings Seminar 2017 

9th November, London

Exova BM TRADA and RSK present a day of technical presentations and case studies from experts, exploring some of the challenges for conservators and how some of these have been overcome in recent heritage projects. Chaired by Sean O'Reilly, Director, The Institute of Historic Building Conservation and Richard Ireland, FRSA Plaster and Paint Consultant and Conservator of Historic Buildings.  

Managing, Preserving and displaying community archives

10th November, Leicester

There are many voluntary groups, small museums, and other organisations that hold archive collections, but do not have the resources to employ a professional archivist. This course provides those involved in the management of these collections with practical advice on how to preserve and exploit them.

Investigating and Remedying Dampness and Timber Decay in Historic Buildings

10th November, Essex

This lecture will examine the problems of dampness and timber decay in historic and traditionally-constructed buildings. The lecture will also cover different approaches to remedial action and will be illustrated with case studies.

Mortars for Repair and Conservation

13th November, Sussex

This course involves a detailed study of traditional mortars, including a brief history of their use, investigation and basic analytical techniques and the recognition and diagnosis of typical failures. Appropriate mortars for a range of masonry conditions, exposures and durabilities are described and demonstrated. Repair techniques, including mixing, placing and curing, together with specifications and costings for remedial works, are considered. There will be practical instruction and exercises using the Ruinette. Course leader: Catherine Woolfitt.

Understanding Building Conservation

14th November, London

This course provides an introduction to building conservation and will have both a UK and international focus and delivered through the ICOMOS (International Council On Monuments and Sites) Training and Education Guideline outputs but in a proportionate way. It will also be delivered in the context of the latest British Standard BS 7913: 2013: Guide to the Conservation of Historic Buildings and include sustainability and energy efficiency. This Standard is the only UK wide authoritative guide to the conservation of historic buildings and is internationally recognised as authoritative best practice.

Historic Building Surveys 

14th November, London

At this course you will gain valuable background information associated with old structures, knowledge and practical advice which is needed when making recommendations and accurate repair costs.   

Specifications, Tenders and Procurement in Heritage Ironwork

17th November, London

A National Heritage Ironwork Group run day of practical guidance which will lead you through the process of writing and understanding specifications on historic ironwork, highlighting pointers and pitfalls in the tendering and procurement process. Includes a tour of the Cathedral.  

Repair and Conservation of Historic Joinery

17th November, Essex  
In this lecture Joe Bispham, will look at the carpentry oak work with reference to specific case studies and craft practices. The second part of the morning gives an overview of the history of imported softwood and through case studies illustrates the importance of repair to external joinery rather than replacement.  

IHBC’s Course Connection Day 2017

23rd November, Birmingham

Are you training for a career in heritage? The IHBC’s celebrated ‘Course Connection Day’ takes a new twist in 2017 as students on any UK specialist course can apply to join the IHBC for a free, expenses-paid introductory day of conservation and career support.

Lime Plaster for Beginners

24th November, Essex

This one-day courses are aimed at owners of historic buildings who want to tackle small patch repairs to their homes and those with no prior experience. The day will show how to hand-mix small amounts of lime plaster, and to repair or replace patches. Roy runs his own plastering business and has been in the trade for over forty years. He works in all aspects of lime plaster but specialises in fine plaster finishes.  

Building Conservation - A Local Case Study

27th November, London

Presenting an array of challenges, including environmental wear and tear, tourism and pollution, the maintenance and conservation of our historic assets represent a significant challenge for real estate professionals; and with an estimated one in five UK buildings dating from 1914 or earlier, surveyors of all disciplines are more than likely to encounter such buildings as part of their daily work.This seminar will take participants through some of the challenges – and solutions – associated with building conservation through the lens of a case study local to their region.

Dilapidations: Diminution in Value

30th November, London

This RICS event will cover best practice guidance to improve your day-to-day practice. This session will provide an update on the latest case law, Section 18 guidance and legislation, and best practice guidance for carrying out a diminution in value.

news and JObs

Job Opportunity: Traditional Skills Internship

Are you a recent building surveying, architecture or conservation graduate? This paid internship at the Engine Shed is an opportunity to begin your career in traditonal built heritage. The Engine Shed is Scotland’s dedicated building conservation centre, based in Stirling. Closing date 8th November.  

Opportunity for Craftspeople: William Morris Craft Fellowship

Since 1986 the SPAB has offered a Fellowship programme designed to broaden the skills and experience of craftspeople, from any trade, who are employed in the repair of historic buildings. Each year the Fellows spend six months travelling the length of the country together, making site visits and meeting expert craftspeople, contractors and architects working in building conservation.

Applications are welcomed from craftspeople employed in the repair of historic buildings on site or in workshops and studios. Candidates must have completed their apprenticeship and demonstrate a high degree of competence, as well as an enthusiasm to engage with other trades and disciplines. Closing date: 1st December.

Call for applications: National Capacity Building Programme

Applications are open for Historic England's National Capacity Building grants programme. The programme supports two year long projects, which start from 1st April 2018. The total grant budget for 2018/19 is £307,696 and 2019-20 of £345,482. Deadline: 5th November.

Heritage at Risk Register

Historic England have published their latest Heritage at Risk Register. The Register, which is updated annually, identifies the sites most at risk of being lost as a result of neglect, decay or innappropriate development.

This year there are fewer entries on the Register than in 2016. At risk buildings include the Royal Pavilion Gardens in Brighton and St George the Martyr in Southwark, often referred to as 'Little Dorrit’s Church' due to it featuring in the Charles Dickens novel.

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on 9am-5pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Lime Plaster for Beginners

These one-day courses will show how to hand-mix small amounts of lime plaster, and to repair or replace patches

Investigate the challenges typically associated with historic building conservation through a case study local to your area.

Dilapidations: Diminution in Value

Best practice guidance to improve your day-to-day practice.