NHTG Newsletter, March 2018

The NHTG

National Heritage Training Group
Newsletter March 2018

Editorial

Dear Reader

Sutton Mill imageDespite the snow this week, we at the NHTG are looking forward to a Spring full of wonderful built heritage training and events. See below for the what is coming up this month.

There are some notable events for your diary later on in the summer including the Heritage Ironwork Festival in Bath, IHBC’s Annual School in Belfast, the Princes’ Foundation Summer School in London and Clayfest in Ireland

We have been contacted by The National Milling and Millwrighting Academy based at the Sutton Mill Heritage Centre, which has been founded to safeguard the future of traditional mill crafts. Their vision is to purchase and then restore the Grade II* listed Sutton Mill and Granary to create a base for the Academy where training can be delivered. The project is being supported by SPAB and North Norfolk District Council. More about the project here.

Best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Courses at Orchard Barn this Spring

Orchard Barn imageObee are a social enterprise specialising in natural and traditional building projects.

Their training courses are held in the award winning off-grid environmental education centre, Orchard Barn.

This Spring and Summer Obee are running a series of traditional built heritage courses including timber framing and wattle and daub.

19th March, An Introduction to Timber Framing   

16th – 20th April Roundwood Timber Framing and Shingle Roof Construction

30th April Timber Frame Restoration Skills

10th May Wattle and Daub

25th June Advanced Timber Framing

Repairing Traditional Masonry, P1 Professional Level 1

1st March, Fife 

This two day workshop for building professionals and provides an introduction to the effective conservation and repair of traditional masonry structures and buildings, for the most part using traditional lime based mortars. By the end of the course attendees will be able to recognise vernacular and historic finishes to masonry buildings and will gain an understanding of building diagnostics in order to be able to develop specifications in relation to exposure, season, substrates and the nature of masonry repairs required.  

Conservation and Repair of Masonry Ruins 

5th - 8th March, West Sussex 

This course is primarily designed for those concerned with the conservation of ruined structures, although the principles and skills are also applicable to roofed buildings. It will include assessment of the structural and surface condition of masonry walls, identification of traditional materials, fault diagnosis, removal and control of organic growth, consolidation and treatment of wall tops, specification of mortars and grouts and the preparation and placing of mortar, with practical exercises using the Ruinette. Course leader: Catherine Woolfitt.

Heritage Wood Occupations SUP (Specialist Upskilling Programme)

12th - 23rd March, Herefordshire 

Candidates will increase their knowledge and skills in conservation and repair of historic timber framing, carpentry and joinery. Participants will develop a solid theoretical underpinning to practical on-site skills. This is CITB Accredited training delivered by a combination of lectures and practical work. A SUP is an ideal starting point for experienced skilled trades wanting to continue on to gain an NVQ L3 in Heritage Wood Occupations; upon completion of which the increasing sought after CSCS Gold Card can be applied for. Candidates can either complete a five day or ten day course. 

Heritage Stonemasonry SUP (Specialist Upskilling Programme)

12th - 23rd March Herefordshire

Candidates will develop their knowledge and skills in conservation, repair and maintenance of stonework. Participants will also learn about lime mortars and temporary support, excavation and underpinning. This is CITB Accredited training delivered by a combination of lectures and practical work. A SUP is an ideal starting point for experienced skilled trades wanting to continue on to gain an NVQ L3 in Heritage Stonemasonry; upon completion of which the increasing sought after CSCS Gold Card can be applied for. Candidates can either complete a five day or ten-day course.  

Lime Plaster for Beginners

16th March, Essex  

These one-day courses are aimed at owners of historic buildings who want to tackle small patch repairs to their homes and those with no prior experience. The day will show how to hand-mix small amounts of lime plaster, and to repair or replace patches. Tutor Roy runs his own plastering business and has been in the trade for over forty years. He works in all aspects of lime plaster but specialises in fine plaster finishes.

Tour of a Traditional Brickworks and Guided Walk

16th March, Bury St Edmunds

A rare opportunity to visit Bulmer Brick and Tile Company’s brickworks and Bury St Edmunds in the company of one of the country’s leading traditional brick-makers, Peter Minter. You will look at and discuss the conservation and repair of historic rubbed and gauged brickwork. The day will help professionals to specify and oversee work in the correct manner, and will also be of interest to the enthusiastic amateur.

Introduction to Leadwork

19th March, Aberdeen

Training delivered by the Lead Sheet Association, the recognised industry expert. An opportunity for Architects, Chartered Building Surveyors, Architectural Technologists, contractors, heritage professionals and anyone involved in specifying or inspecting leadwork to consolidate and build on existing understanding of this important traditional material from the leading authority on Lead Sheet.  

Leadwork: Basic Bossing and Welding 

20th March, Aberdeen 

Training delivered by the Lead Sheet Association; a hands-on, practical course. Bossing and welding are two key skills that leadworkers need to master to be able to create the range of forms and shapes necessary to detail roofing leadwork properly. The course is aimed at building and roofing contractors who wish to develop their skills and represents a rare opportunity to access training from the recognised industry expert in the detailing and use of lead sheet for contractors. 

New Design for Old Buildings

20th March, London

Join the SPAB for an exciting one day conference exploring examples of good new design for historic buildings. Chaired by Mark Hines, this conference is a celebration of good new design for old buildings, whether domestic, commercial, religious or agricultural. This is an essential event for anyone in the architectural community - both established practitioners and students - and will also be interesting to anyone responsible for the care of old buildings who may be seeking to undertake development or extension projects.  

Lime Plaster for Plasterers

22nd March, Essex

A two-day hands-on course aimed at working plasterers interested in broadening their experience, and amateurs with some plastering skills. The course will explain how to fix laths, prepare lime putty mixes, and plaster on laths as well as highlighting the importance of good preparation and aftercare. Roy runs his own plastering business and has been in the trade for over forty years. He works in all aspects of lime plaster but specialises in fine plaster finishes.  

news and JObs

Job Opportunity: Stonemason Durham Cathedral 

Durham Cathedral has a proud history of employing its own stonemasons to undertake the repair, maintenance and conservation work required on this UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Durham Cathedral is looking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced stonemason. A recent quinquennial report has identified a longer term requirement for additional stonemasonry skills which the Cathedral is looking to address in the very near future. 

Job Vacancy - Stonemason Principal Trainer

An excellent opportunity for a time served stonemason has arisen to join the SLCT team to deliver a range of 'hands on' courses as well as work alongside the Building Advisory team.   

Urgent appeal launched to protect Charles Rennie Mackintosh house

An urgent appeal has been launched to build a protective box around a house built by inimitable architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, which is rapidly deteriorating.

The National Trust for Scotland aims to raise £1.5m to build a box to protect the building, which is made from sandstone and Portland cement, to shield it from further damage.

Hill House was built between 1902 – 1904 and the years of harsh, wet weather in Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute have cause the walls to dissolve. 

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on 9am-5pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Banker Masonry Accredited Level 2 Diploma

Banker Masonry Accredited Level 2 Diploma one year course.

IHBC’s Annual School 2018

The theme for this summer school is Our Shared Heritage.

Advanced Timber Framing

Get hands-on experience and skills reinstating a 1580 Suffolk Long House timber frame.