NHTG newsletter, April 2018

The NHTG

National Heritage Training Group
Newsletter April 2018

Editorial

Dear Reader

Bursary Trainee and Bob Howard, NHTG ChairThe National Heritage Training Group welcomed a select audience of key players in the built heritage sector to one of the UK’s most iconic historic landmarks, the Tower of London on Friday 16th March.

The event was held to celebrate the successful completion of the second Project delivered by the NHTG as part of the Heritage Lottery Fund supported Skills for the Future programme. The 18-month project included a bursary scheme which saw 30 trainees placed into a wide range of built heritage businesses, where they were able to develop their skills and knowledge, as well as work towards formal qualifications with support from the NHTG and financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Alongside the Bursary scheme, the NHTG ran a series of two-day heritage courses attended by over 100 delegates and also provided mentoring courses and apprentice training courses in heritage stone and wood occupations. The courses were held in various historic venues around England, including the Painted Gallery in the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich and Fountain’s Abbey in North Yorkshire.

During the celebration event at the Tower of London, the trainees were treated to a behind the scenes tour of the Tower and a visit to see the Crown Jewels. In the afternoon the trainees alongside notable guests from the built heritage sector, gathered in the New Armouries Building to hear the HLF Head of Participation and Learning Dr Jo Reilly, describe the impact the lottery has had on heritage projects across the country over the last 20 years.

After a Project Overview from John Taylor, Chairman of the NHTG Project Management Board, Carl Bream gave the view of the placement providers, outlining the positive impact the scheme has had on his traditional metal roofing businesses. Bursary trainee Liam Podbury described his experiences of learning the ancient craft of pargetting during his time working with Anna Kettle and how the scheme helped to bridge the gap between his Archaeology degree and his new career as a Junior Construction Manager at a built heritage company.

The trainees were then presented with specially commissioned NHTG certificates and the afternoon was closed by NHTG Chair Bob Howard, who thanked HLF for their continued essential support for the sector and emphasised the significant role that the NHTG would continue to have in promoting built heritage skills and training.

Thank you to all who took part in the successful scheme and came along to the Tower to celebrate!

With best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

Membership

Cubby Construction Ltd logoWe are delighted to welcome Cubby Construction Ltd as a new member of the NHTG.

Cubby Construction Ltd is a well-respected and long-established, multi-disciplined construction, civil engineering and joinery business based in Carlisle, Cumbria.

Projects range from roads and bridges, specialist concrete works, earth works and drainage through to major new build and refurbishment projects, covering historic restorations, premium one-off homes and complete housing developments.The company’s substantial in-house joinery business provides high-quality joinery manufacturing and installation, providing specialist components for restorations; bespoke windows, doors, kitchens and other joinery items; and, specialist structural timber including green oak.

They have a large in-house fleet of plan, machinery and trained labour force which ensures the company has the capacity, capability to successfully manage and deliver projects safely, within budget, on time and to the highest quality.

Find out more about becoming a member of the NHTG here.

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Windows of The Beonna glazing, repairs and their story

3rd April, Benington  

Find out about these stunning stained-glass windows and how they are being repaired. Learn about 21st century conservation methods taking place in stained glass studios. The event will be led by Michael Stokes, Stained Glass Adviser to the Diocese of Sheffield. The event will include a presentation and discussion followed by a tour of the historic church.

Coatings and Consolidants for Masonry

9th - 11th, Sussex  
This two day workshop for building professionals and provides an introduction to the effective conservation and repair of traditional masonry structures and buildings, for the most part using traditional lime based mortars. By the end of the course attendees will be able to recognise vernacular and historic finishes to masonry buildings and will gain an understanding of building diagnostics in order to be able to develop specifications in relation to exposure, season, substrates and the nature of masonry repairs required.  

Conservation of Architectural Ironwork two-day CPD course

11th - 12th April, London  
Aimed at craft practitioners and consultative professionals, this course is a comprehensive introduction to the conservation of ironwork for those involved in its care, covering historical context, metallurgy of wrought iron and steels, traditional tools, techniques & materials, design and manufacture. With a focus on the processes of restoration, the course will also guide you through surface preparation and treatments, specification and standards for heritage ironwork contracts, including a procurement and pricing exercise. The lectures will be complemented by a site visit to survey historic ironwork and develop a strategy for its conservation.  

Roundwood Timber Framing and Shingle Roof construction course

16th - 20th April, Suffolk  
This course is designed for homeowners, natural builders, architects, surveyors or anyone with an interest in learning low tech construction using local trees and a traditional approach. During the course delegates will learn traditional carpentry techniques and work in a small group to build and a roof frame.  

Conservation and Repair of Slate and Stone Roofing

16th - 19th April, Sussex  
This course covers the history of traditional slate and stone roofing but mainly concentrates on their conservation and repair. The starting point is an understanding of how roofs work and the different materials used, including regional variations and methods of construction. Modern codes of practice and standards are covered, along with practical demonstrations and hands-on work in making and preparing slates and mortar, and their application to roofs, including setting out, recording and the construction of both random and single-sized roofs. The course will be supplemented by films and practical sessions on surveying old roofs, traditional detailing, writing specifications and finding sources of information.  

The Stained Glass Museum Study Weekend 2018: Suffolk

19th - 22nd April, Bury St Edmunds  

Based in the historic market town of Bury St Edmunds, former home to one of the richest Benedictine abbeys in medieval England, the annual weekend will involve tours of a number of churches and other buildings to see stained glass in situ. Visits will include: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, the parish churches of St Mary and St John, and Council Offices, all in Bury St Edmunds. In addition, there will be visits to see medieval stained glass at Long Melford, Risby, Gipping and Hessett, an important collection of 16th and 17th century roundels at Nowton; 17th century heraldic glass at Clare, and High Victorian glass at Sudbury and Lavenham. There will also be opportunities to see some beautiful early Henry Holiday glass at Shimpling and fine Arts and Crafts stained glass at Horringer and Herringswell.  

Heritage Wood Occupations Specialist Applied Skills and Experience Worker Programme

23rd April- 4th May, Bristol  

A 20-day Specialist Apprenticeship Programme (SAP) course in the conservation and repair of historic timber framing, carpentry and joinery. Over two consecutive weeks, participants will develop a solid theoretical underpinning to practical on-site skills, development in bench joinery and timber framing. Courses are a combination of lectures and practical work at workshops and historic sites and are an integral part of working towards an NVQ L3 in Heritage Skills, which can lead to a Heritage CSCS Gold Card.

Experienced Worker Programme – Heritage Wood Occupations

23rd April -  4th May, Bristol  

The Experience Worker Programme (EWP) is aimed at candidates who already have some to extensive trade experience. During this course they will increase their knowledge and skills in conservation and repair of historic timber framing, carpentry and joinery. Participants will develop a solid theoretical underpinning to practical on-site skills. A EWP forms an ideal platform to continue on to gain an NVQ L3 in Heritage Wood Occupations; upon completion of which the increasing sought after CSCS Gold Card can be applied for.

Timber Frame Restoration Skills course at Orchard Barn

30th April - 4th May, Suffolk  

During this course discover why old buildings get damp and how to remedy it, find out why timber frame buildings need to breathe, get to grips with the lime cycle and how to use lime mortar. Save money by learning how to undertake repairs yourself, or become more confident instructing your builder. This course is aimed at home-owners, professional builders, architects, surveyors and conservation officers.    

news and JObs

New report shows how world-leading heritage sector can advance UK international relations after Brexit

The Heritage Alliance, the umbrella body for the heritage sector, has published the first ever report on the independent heritage sector’s impact overseas. The report sponsored by the Scottish Confucius Institute for Business and Communication at Heriot-Watt University, makes recommendations for building on the success of the overall sector which already generates £21.7 billion a year. The Heritage Alliance hopes that the report will not only help develop international opportunities for a post Brexit Britain but also inform international discussions such as April’s Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2018 in London      

Apply Now: San Gemini Preservation Studies Programme

Now in its 20th year, with alumni from over 170 colleges and universities worldwide, SGPS is dedicated to the preservation of cultural heritage. Students are offered the opportunity to study and travel in Italy where they acquire hands-on experience in preservation and restoration of historic buildings. The building restoration programme is intended for students planning to be involved in: building conservation and restoration, architecture, art history, civil engineering, art restoration, field history, management of cultural heritage, anthropology and history of technology. All lessons are taught in English and accreditation is through the Art History Department at West Virginia University. The application deadline is April 15, 2018     

Blacksmiths needed to help construct a bridge using traditional techniques

The Kesurokai Association will be having a hands-on building event for constructing a bridge by traditional handcraft techniques only. Craftspeople from several European countries and Japan will hew, saw, lay out, mark, join, forge and exchange nearly lost knowledge while having a good time.They are looking for skilled blacksmiths with experience in traditional hand techniques who would enjoy an exchange of experiences, skills, knowledge and culture.  

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on 9am-5pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Banker Masonry Accredited Level 2 Diploma

Banker Masonry Accredited Level 2 Diploma one year course.

Princes Foundation Summer School

The Princes Foundation Summer School teaches professionals, graduates, and the public how traditional and sustainable building crafts can be applied today in order to design, build and preserve sustainable communities.

Stained Glass: Techniques & Design

An intensive course covering each stage of the stained glass process.