NHTG Newsletter, June 2018

Editorial

Dear Reader

Heritage wood carvingWe’re thrilled with how the NHTG membership scheme is progressing, with 15 members joining us this year so far. As a member of the NHTG you will receive a whole range of benefits including free advertising of events and jobs on our website and newsletter, as well as the use of the NHTG on your company website and marketing materials – the full list of benefits of membership can be found here.

We urge any business or organisation involved in built heritage to become a member of the NHTG as we can offer advice on training, develop bespoke training for your staff and help with CSCS card applications for members and much more.

To become a member please email Sophie Keegan [email protected].

As Spring turns to Summer, now is a good time to take part in some built heritage training. See below the list of courses coming up this month or get in touch if you are looking for a particular course which isn't listed.

With best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Young Surveyors Conservation Day

1st June, Sterling  
A one day seminar on building conservation basics for surveyors. Learn about the conservation principles for traditional and historic structures, from traditional materials and skills, to the role of technology for surveyors. This seminar will give new and aspiring surveyors an insight into traditional buildings, and will look at future steps and training opportunities. Suitable for newly qualified, graduate, and student surveyors.  

Introduction to Lime Plastering

4th June, Leicester  

Philip Gaches, a leading specialist with over 20 years of experience in training on lime plastering, will guide participants through the theory and practical aspects of the work. There will be three practical sessions on preparing the background, applying plaster and finishing it, with delegates having the opportunity to apply a small area of each coat.

Celebrating the Nation's Heritage Ironwork

14th-17th June, Bath  
Introductory seminar for allcomers, advanced conference for practitioners and professionals Expert talks and stimulating discussion. Aimed at heritage professionals, craft practitioners and the general public, the NHIG seminar Heritage Ironwork: an Endangered Species will explore how we can promote the survival of this threatened aspect of our shared heritage.  

Hot Lime Mortar Mixing Workshop

18th June, Nottingham  
Join this HLF-funded workshop on Hot Lime Mortar Mixing at the historic Holme Pierrepont Hall in Nottingham. This is an opportunity to learn the art of mixing and using hot lime mortar for traditional repair of historic brickwork.  

IHBC's Summer School

21st - 23rd June, Belfast  
The theme for this summer school is Our Shared Heritage. The full school programme – including CPD-focussed tours – will delve even more deeply into our theme for 2018. Tied into the 2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage our explanations, investigations and interrogations will extend right across Northern Ireland, from Mount Stewart to Derry-Londonerry!’   

Advanced Timber Framing

25th - 29th June, Suffolk  
Get hands-on experience and skills reinstating a 1580 Suffolk Long House timber frame.
Using essentially Medieval techniques you will learn how to cut and joint the components of a ground and first floor frame. Not a formal taught course, but practical days working alongside Rick Lewis and the Orchard Barn Team progressing the replica Suffolk Long House frame. Some carpentry experience needed. These four days are perfect for improvers, home-owners, conservation officers, architects, carpenters, builders, engineers, and anyone with a love of traditional timber framing who wants to get involved in the practical carpentry of a big timber frame.   

NEWS AND JOBS

Apply now: FFWHR bursary scheme in heritage skills training

Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways are currently looking to recruit ten people onto their Heritage Lottery Funded – Skills for the Future bursary scheme. All trainees will be paid a tax free bursary of £13,000 with additional outreach training with our placement partners in addition to networking opportunities across the heritage sector. Applicants are sought for training in heritage joinery, heritage interpretation as well as heritage walling.

Job: Assistant Church Buildings Officer

The Oxford Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC) are currently seeking an Assistant Church Buildings Officer to provide maternity cover to help support the long term sustainable future of the historic church buildings across the diocese and help individual congregations to care for them and adapt them for today’s needs. You will be working directly with the Senior Church Buildings Officer, helping in all aspects of DAC work. You will be from an architectural, surveying or conservation officer background with strong knowledge of conservation techniques and philosophy. A keen eye for detail and skill at managing stakeholders will be essential.  

Apply Now: Winston Churchill Memorial Trust

Have you ever wanted to explore new ideas in a subject close to your heart? Discover how things are done in other countries and bring that knowledge back home?

A Churchill Fellowship is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to expand your horizons and make a difference. It offers up to two months overseas, researching a topic of your choice – and then a lifetime relationship to help you spread the global insights that you bring back. Applications are welcome from across the field of enviroment, conservation and sustainable living. Invations are invited by September 19th.

Open call for early career participants - International summer academy on managing historic urban landscapes

Early career professionals up to the age of 40 are invited to apply to the Open Call for participation in the International Summer Academy on the theme of Managing Historic Urban Landscapes. The academy will take place from 5-12th August 2018 in Petrovaradin, Novi Sad, Serbia. Closing dates for applications are 15th May 2018.

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage traineeIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 01246 252363, is manned from on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Banker Masonry Accredited Level 2 Diploma

Banker Masonry Accredited Level 2 Diploma one year course.

IHBC’s Annual School 2018

The theme for this summer school is Our Shared Heritage.

Advanced Timber Framing