NHTG Newsletter, November 2018

Editorial

Dear Reader

Traditional craft image copyright Heritage Crafts Association
Heritage Crafts Association has set up an All Party Parliamentary Group for Craft to enhance the understanding and promotion of craft in the UK and to ensure that craft skills are supported and passed on to future generations.

The first meeting took place on the 18th October and was strongly supported with the NHTG Chairman Bob Howard MBE in attendance, with the Rt Hon John Hayes as Chair, and Sharon Hodgson MP, Sir Michael Fallon MP, Baroness Garden, Lord Cormack and the Earl of Clancarty as Vice-Chairs.

The aim is for the APPG to encompass as many aspects of craft as is possible so that it provides a collective sounding board with and voice for craft - letting those in parliament know about the successes and also the challenges, and also to work together and provide solutions to some of the challenges. The Group will meet three meetings a year, one in each parliamentary term.

APPG Crafts is now up and running on twitter and all organisations are encouraged to follow. The APPG website is where reports from the meetings, the agendas, minutes, associated papers, and photographs will be found. There are two interesting articles there already. Please see: https://heritagecrafts.org.uk/appg/

In other news the NHTG helpdesk is receiving increasing enquiries each month about courses, training, career changes and funding. Please spread the word about the helpdesk as we have all the information and can help!

With best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager

Sign up today!

The NHTG Membership scheme is growing each month and we'd love to have more members on board. If you are interested in signing up to become a member of the NHTG, find out more about the scheme and the benefits here, and please email me to request to join.   

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Façade Preservation and Stonemasonry Fixing Programmes

NHTG Members Priestman Associates LLP deliver two specialist conservation sector CITB Specialist Applied-Skills Programmes. The first in Façade Preservation and the second in Stonemasonry Fixing. Both programmes minimally disrupt your workers off-project time and both fulfil the VQ requirement for the CSCS blue Skilled Worker Card. CITB registered firms receive the programme fee-neutral. Interested? Please quote NHTG-SAP and call 0115 975 6975 or email [email protected]  

Repair and Maintenance of Traditional Windows

7th November, Leicester  

If you live in or work on buildings with traditional timber windows this course is for you. With a focus on sliding sash windows you will learn what makes up a traditional sash and case window, look at some common faults and simple repairs and be shown simple ways to improve the thermal efficiency of timber windows without resorting to upvc alternatives.

Free Traditional Building Skills Workshop

9th - 10th November, Bristol  

Looking for an apprenticeship with a local traditional trade? Want to learn more about historic building techniques and heritage restoration? The NHTG and Hayles and Howe have come together to offer a FREE workshop specialising in traditional building trades. Featuring skills from the experts from Oak Frame Training Forum and Carrek – Historic Building Conservation.

Understanding Building Conservation

12th - 13th November, London  
Providing a solid introduction to conservation for historic, residential and commercial properties, the 2-day Understanding Building Conservation course will improve your competence and confidence in the undertaking of work and management on protected and traditional buildings. As a result of taking the course, you will be better able to diagnose issues, identify the best building

Conservation solutions and work with the various stakeholders. On successful completion of the end of course assessment, you will receive a Certificate of Attainment from the CIOB. This also counts towards the entry requirements for the new CIOB Building Conservation Certification Scheme, for those of you wishing to further progress your career in this specialist field.

Lime mortars and plasters course

14th - 16th November, North Yorkshire  

A short intermediate course offering theoretical and paractical hands-on training. Day one will be a gaining the under pinning knowledge of traditional plasters. The second day will be a full day of practical work, mixing and using Lime plasters and renders in various applications.

Seminar: Colour & Finish in Heritage Ironwork

15th November, London  

We live in a world of many and varied colours, from bright and bold to subtle and calm, and we make full use of this wide palette to decorate our built environment. So why is it that when it comes to ironwork the majority of people specify black? This day aims to explode the ‘always black’ myth, look at alternatives, and outline best practice for discovering, conserving and re-instating original colour schemes.

The Building as a Canvas: Wall Paintings from Antiquity to the Present

16th November, London  

The Traditional Paint Forum 2018 conference will explore murals and decoration applied to the building envelope and will look at techniques, materials and technical challenges of conservation. The talks will span from Egyptian painting to the 20th century. The conference will be set in the amazing Great Hall of St Bartholomew's Hospital, which is not to be missed, and will include tours of the Grand Staircase, The Hogarth Stair, the walls of which were decorated by William Hogarth (1697-1764).

Old House Eco Course

17th November, London  

Learn how to make your home – whether it is medieval and timber-framed, Georgian, Victorian or Edwardian, detached or terraced – energy efficient and low carbon, without devaluing the future sustainability or character of the building.

Blacksmithing Taster Days

20th and 27th November, Cotswolds Conservation Board, Northleach

These two courses will allow you to learn about the skill of blacksmithing through practising the use of the tools and techniques used by blacksmiths. During the taster day you will learn about the blacksmith processes through a comprehensive introduction to the basics of blacksmithing. Various techniques will be demonstrated to show how it is done and then participants will be able to have a go themselves  

JOBS

Become a SPAB scholar

Are you and architect, engineer or surveyor and would like to move into the conservation sector? By becoming a SPAB scholar you'll experience immersive hands-on learning, have the opportunity to travel, try new crafts and develop your own practice. There are no fees and a bursary will be provided. Deadline for applications is 1st December.

Bursaries for 16-25 year olds in Building Conservation Techniques

The Sussex Heritage Trust Bursary scheme offers educational opportunities for young people aged 16 - 25 based in Sussex, who are or hope to be in the construction industry.

Funded by the Historic Houses Association and supported by the Weald & Downland Living Museum, we have a programme of bursaries available to support young people attending courses on building conservation techniques.

The Trust will provide funding for the course and also support successful students in contribution to any travel and accommodation costs they may incur.

Vote today: Historic England Angel Awards

Built heritage projects run by individuals and groups who have taken action and championed their local heritage are in the running for the Historic England Angel Awards. Founded by Andrew Lloyd Webber the shortlisted projects within the five categories are in the running for the Historic England Followers’ Favourite award, which is voted for by the public. Cast your vote by visiting the website.

Stonemasonry skills in Scotland supported by CITB

A new partnership between CITB and St Mary’s Cathedral Workshop in Edinburgh has been launched to help meet the demand for stonemasonry skills to repair and maintain Scotland’s historic buildings.

Five stonemasonry apprenticeships are the first to benefit from the new scheme, allowing the young people the chance to learn new skills whilst earning a wage

St Mary’s Cathedral Workshop has trained generations of apprentices while continuing its work to restore the stone fabric of St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral. Apprentices attend Edinburgh College during their four-year training, after which they gain an SVQ in Stonemasonry.

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

A historic painted celingIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 0739 4857 123, is manned from 9 - 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednsday morning. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Lime mortars and plasters course

A short intermediate course offering theoretical and paractical hands-on training.

This day aims to explode the ‘always black’ myth, look at alternatives, and outline best practice for discovering, conserving and re-instating original colour schemes in heritage ironwork.

The Traditional Paint Forum 2018 conference will explore murals and decoration applied to the building envelope and will look at techniques, materials and technical challenges of conservation.