NHTG Newsletter, December 2018

NHTG and Hayles and Howe eventDear Reader

The NHTG Has had a busy month, including running a well attended heritage skills workshop with Hayles and Howe, ornamental plaster specialists, in Bristol.

This free two-day workshop was designed as an introduction to traditional building skills and was open to anyone to attend to have a go with with fibrous plaster, scagliola, lime plaster and timber frame.

As well as chance to have a go there were demonstrations from E.I.Flood and Sons, the award winning ornamental plastering brothers Stan and Alan Flood. The brothers have worked on some of the most prestigious buildings in the UK and Europe and demonstrated the traditional building techniques of lime plaster.

David Harrison Chair of Hayles and Howe and an NHTG Board member, gave talks about the history of fiberous plaster, architecture styles and historic plasterwork. Nigel Howe of the Oak Frame Training Forum and NHTG Board member demonstrated the key factors when building timber frame structures

Hayles and Howe were supported by Go Construct, who were on hand to give careers advice as part of an industry wide initiative that aims to attract, inform and retain a talented workforce for the construction industry.

A group of year 11 students from The Merchant's Academy came along to see what the built heritage sector has to offer as a career. The group spent the morning listening to the experts and getting hands on making plaster enrichments with the Hayles and Howe team and enjoying all aspects of the workshop.

The feedback from the workshop was positive as it was found to be engaging and interesting and we hope to host similar workshops in the new year.

As things slow down for the festive period, there are some interesting training and events planned for the new year for your diary, listed below.

With good wishes for a Happy Christmas.

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager
Helpdesk telephone number: 07394 857 123

NHTG Membership

We're pleased to say that the NHTG Membership scheme is growing each month. We now have an online directory of our members, so you can read about their work and you’ll see who you will be joining – great company! The benefits of the scheme are listed here. If you’re interested in joining, you can find out more by getting in touch.  

New NHTG Member: The Heritage Trust Network

Heritage Trust NetworkWe are delighted to say that The Heritage Trust Network has joined the NHTG as a member. The Heritage Trust Network (previously UKAPT)  is the umbrella organisation for not-for-profit organisations and individuals working to regenerate heritage assets for communities. HTN, facilitating an active network of members provides support and guidance to its members through online resources, regular area meetings, peer-to-peer support, its annual conference and newsletters.  

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Façade Preservation and Stonemasonry Fixing Programmes

NHTG Members Priestman Associates LLP deliver two specialist conservation sector CITB Specialist Applied-Skills Programmes. The first in Façade Preservation and the second in Stonemasonry Fixing. Both programmes minimally disrupt your workers off-project time and both fulfil the VQ requirement for the CSCS blue Skilled Worker Card. CITB registered firms receive the programme fee-neutral. Interested? Please quote NHTG-SAP and call 0115 975 6975 or email [email protected]  

Blacksmithing - Taster Day

1st December, Cotswolds  

Spend a day learning about the skill of blacksmithing through practising the use of the tools and techniques used by blacksmiths. During the taster day you will learn about the blacksmith processes through a comprehensive introduction to the basics of blacksmithing. Various techniques will be demonstrated to show how it is done and then participants will be able to have a go themselves. No previous experience required.

Stone Carving for Beginners

1st December, and 25th January, Cotswolds  

From Gargoyles loitering on catherdral rooves to ornate garden sculptures, the art of stone carving have been around for a very long time. On this course you will experience the satisfaction of being creative and engaging in the creative process by interacting with the medium of stone. You will learn the basic techniques of stone carving, the tools required and how you use them. By the end of the two days you can expect to have completed a simple sculpture. No previous experience required.

Timber Buildings in Essex

18th January, Essex  

Timber-framed buildings are one of the characteristic features of the Essex historic environment. They date from the 12th century to modern times. This CPD lecture will be divided into two talks, one explaining how timber was sourced, converted, carpentered and assembled into buildings. The second will trace how medieval houses changed and developed as improvements were made and living standards became more sophisticated. The talks should make it possible to recognise the essential features of timber-framed buildings, and how to analyse and date them.

Building Conservation Masterclass (BCM)

4th February, Sussex  
This course covers the conservation of structural metalwork, architectural features and statuary, and includes both ferrous and non-ferrous metals, with tuition from leading practitioners on a wide range of repair techniques. It also covers the methods of manufacture and shaping of ferrous metals, the history of their use, deterioration, surveys, practical cleaning methods, surface preparation and coatings, and specifying metalwork repairs. It includes corrosion science, the latest developments in cathodic protection as a remedial solution to rusting cramps and the science of traditional electrotype forming as used for statuary. There will be a ‘hands-on’ opportunity in the Forge when students will be able to try out traditional and modern techniques.  

Heritage Carpentry Specialist Applied-Skills Programme (SAP)

19th February, Llandeilo Wales  

Undertake the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Heritage Skills (Construction)- Wood Occupations at the Twyi Centre in Llandeilo. Following this you will be eligible to apply for a CSCS Heritage Gold Card. The course is made up of two parts, 20 days training and assesment over 18 months at your place of work.

news

Apply for the William Morris Craft Fellowship

The SPAB’s William Morris Craft Fellowship celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2017. This unique annual scheme is designed to broaden the skills and experience of craftspeople from any trade who work in the repair of historic buildings. The programme gives Fellows the chance to travel countrywide together and learn on site from specialist craftspeople, architects and contractors working in building conservation. Fellows will recieve a bursary of around £6,000 to give them a chance to develop their skills in their own craft and to try others, such as timber framing, thatching, blacksmithing, pargeting, flint knapping and stone masonry.

Historic Angels Awards Announced

There were 15 finalists in the Historic England Angel Awards 2018. The winners were announced and presented with their awards at a glittering ceremony at London’s Gillian Lynne Theatre on 27 November 2018. Founded by Andrew Lloyd Webber the Historic Angels Awards celebrate community heritage projects. There were five categories and a Historic England Followers' Favourite Award chosen by the public, which was won by Wilton’s Music Hall, London. Click on the link above to see videos of the winners projects.

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

Heritage painter and decoratorIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected]. NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 0739 4857 123, is manned from 9 - 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednesday morning. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Free Event: Specifications & Tenders for Heritage Ironwork at Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings

A day of practical guidance which will lead you through the process of writing and understanding specifications on historic ironwork, highlighting pointers and pitfalls in the tendering and procurement process.

Timber Buildings in Essex

This CPD lecture will be divided into two talks, one explaining how timber was sourced, converted, carpentered and assembled into buildings.

Stone Carving - Beginners

A fantastic two day course learning the art of stone carving with expert stone carver Sebastian Rasch.