NHTG Newsletter, February 2019

Editorial

Dear Reader

The New Year brings lots of opportunities for built heritage training and here at the NHTG we get lots of enquiries about the training we deliver. The NHTG delivers three theoretical courses, these are:  

1. Repair and Maintenance of Pre-1919 Traditional Buildings course

Henry teaching the repair and maintenance course at Fountain's AbbeyThis is a two-day built heritage course, which gives an overview of the repair and maintenance of traditional buildings. It is an accredited course, in which case delegates will recieve madatory units towards the Level 3 NVQ. The NHTG is offers this course to demonstrate the value and importance of built heritage, and how if conserved in the correct way old buildings can continue to be enjoyed for generations. The course teaches delegates the traditional materials and methods to repair and maintain old buildings as well as using safe work practices and relevant legislation and guidance. The course gives delegates opportunities to ask questions and see traditional building methods in situ via a buildings/ and location tours with the trainers. The NHTG has run this course inmany historic settings including at the ORNC in Greenwich, Fountain's Abbey, Cromford Mills and the Heritage Skills Centre at Lincoln Castle.

2. Mentoring course

A one-day course about how to mentor young people working within built heritage, for supervisors/senior staff.

3. Train the Trainers course

This course is aimed at senior members of staff to find out how to set up and run the two-day heritage course as above.

These courses can be run anywhere across the country, all we need is a meeting room in or nearby a historic setting.

Do get in touch if you are interested in finding out more including course programmes, availability and costings.

In the meantime there are plenty of training courses coming up this month and opportunities to apply for, please see below.

Best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager
Helpdesk telephone number: 01246 252363

MEMBERSHIP

The NHTG membership scheme is open to members, who work within the built heritage field. There are lots of great membership benefits you can read them here and you can see our expanding list of members in our membership directory here. If you are interested in becoming a members please email [email protected]for more information.

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Timber Frame Repairs

1st February, Essex
This session is divided into two illustrated talks, with the first session looking at what repair methods might be appropriate to heavy carpentry and the tools that a modern carpenter might use. Modern and historic hand tools will be covered along with specialist power tools that have been designed with heavy carpentry in mind.

The second session will look at case studies of timber frames that some may consider to have been beyond reasonable repair. Some points on design and engineering along with the need for clear drawings and method statements will also be discussed. The morning will provide specifiers, homeowners and craftsmen with plenty of ideas for the effective repair of historic carpentry.

Conservation and Repair of Architectural and Structural Ironwork

4th February, West Sussex

This course covers the conservation of structural metalwork, architectural features and statuary, and includes both ferrous and non-ferrous metals, with tuition from leading practitioners on a wide range of repair techniques. It also covers the methods of manufacture and shaping of ferrous metals, the history of their use, deterioration, surveys, practical cleaning methods, surface preparation and coatings, and specifying metalwork repairs. It includes corrosion science, the latest developments in cathodic protection as a remedial solution to rusting cramps and the science of traditional electrotype forming as used for statuary. There will be a 'hands-on' opportunity in the Forge when students will be able to try out traditional and modern techniques relevant to architectural conservation such as forging at the hearth, arc and gas welding, flame cutting and needle gunning.

Heritage Carpentry NVQ3 Specialist Applied Skills Programme

11th February, Llandeil

This course will give you the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Heritage Skills (Construction)- Wood Occupations qualification. Following this you will be eligible to apply for a CSCS Heritage Gold Card.

The course is made of 2 parts- Training and Assessment. The Training is 20 days. The Assessment is carried out over 18 months whilst the candidate is working at their regular place of work.

The assessor will visit up to five times, usually for no more than a couple of hours to complete the portfolio of work.

Conserving, Repairing and Maintaining Traditional Windows

21st February, Aberdeen
This two-day course will address the conservation, repair and maintenance requirements of sash and case, and a range of other traditional windows. This course will be of immense benefit to: joiners, architects and other construction industry professionals, as well as owners of traditional buildings, Local Authority planning and maintenance staff, and representatives of conservation organisations.

JOBS & NEWS

Apply now: IHBC Marsh Award

IHBC Marsh Award for Successful Learning in Heritage Skills is designed to recognise the contribution of an individual for their significant learning in traditional building activities and craft skills.

The award is marked with £500 cash and a free residential place at the next Annual School on the topic of Heritage, Risk and Resilience. Confronting conservation calamities in Nottingham (4-6 July 2019).

Apply now: QEST offers funding to support training in craft skills

QEST (the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust) supports the training and education of talented and aspiring craftspeople through traditional college courses, apprenticeships or one-on-one training with master craftspeople. There are two application periods per year - Spring and Autumn - with funds granted in May and October. Applications are reviewed by a group of experienced Skills and Industry Advisors – with a rigorous three stage assessment process, culminating in interview.

Link

Apply now: John Betjeman Award for church repair

Recognising excellence in the repair of places of worship of all denominations and faiths in England and Wales, the John Betjeman Award is open for applications until 26 February. Shortlisted and winning entries are featured on the SPAB website and in the SPAB Magazine.

Link

Apply now: San Gemini Preservation Studies Programme

Applications open for the San Gemini Preservation summer school is dedicated to the preservation of cultural heritage. This programme aims to give students an introduction to restoration of historic buildings by offering both theoretical and hands-on experience during it's 4 week summer school in Italy.
Link

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

A historic painted celingIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 0739 4857 123, is manned from 9 - 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednsday morning. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

© 2019 The National Heritage Training Group

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

This two-day course will address the conservation, repair and maintenance requirements of sash and case, and a range of other traditional windows.

Heritage Interpretation and Design

This course is aimed at anyone wanting to further their understanding in heritage interpretation and design.

Conservation of Architectural Ironwork 2 day CPD

As part of the heritage skills training programme funded by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation at Shrewsbury Flaxmill, we will be running our 2-day ‘Conservation of Architectural Ironwork’ CPD