Press release: The NHTG recieves funding from B&CE Charitable Trust

The National Heritage Training Group (NHTG) is delighted to have been awarded a grant from the B&CE Charitable Trust.

The grant will be used to run a series of built heritage training courses, which will see around 86 delegates learn about historic buildings and the skills needed to maintain them. Two types of courses will be run in three different locations. The Repair and Maintenance of Traditional Pre-1919 Buildings, which is delivered over two days by leading built heritage experts, will give delegates an overview of repairing and maintaining historical buildings. This course is accredited by CITB and those who attend will receive two mandatory units towards their Level 3 NVQ in Heritage skills. It is aimed at students from construction courses preferably from low socioeconomic backgrounds. The second course is about mentoring, which will be run over one day and is of interest to crafts persons – both trainees and supervisors, builders and professionals. Participants will learn about mentoring, which is simply about a more experienced and trusted person assisting or supporting a learner or less experienced craftsperson to further develop their craft skills abilities The NHTG is grateful for the support of the B&CE Charitable Trust, as it will give the opportunity for young people to experience built heritage and help to spark enthusiasm for old buildings and potential career paths into the sector.

Bob Howard MBE, Chair of the NHTG says:

"We are most grateful to the B&CE Charitable Trust in receiving a £17,100 grant, which will assist the NHTG in providing the opportunity for students and contractors to receive built heritage training from experts within the field. The NHTG is always looking at ways of getting young people interested in a career within built heritage and we’re hoping this project will help to point trainees into that direction. Places will be offered preferably to those from low socioeconomic backgrounds who are already employed or are on construction courses. Without funding from charitable organisations such as the B&CE Charitable Trust courses like these would be difficult to finance, so we are very pleased to receive the grant."

Barbara Dinsdale, Head of B&CE Charitable Trust, said:

“We’re delighted to award this grant to a cause that will provide young people and those retraining with a pathway in to new careers. We can’t wait to hear about the successes of those who benefit from the training, as well as seeing the positive impact this award has on the local communities.”

About the NHTG

The NHTG co-ordinates the development and delivery of traditional building crafts training and qualifications in the heritage sector of the UK. The NHTG runs a membership scheme, a helpdesk offering training guidance, online resources, delivers training and events. The NHTG recently delivered a successful Heritage Lottery Fund funded Bursary Scheme, which saw trainees gain work experience and training to help establish a career in built heritage.

NHTG raises awareness of the importance of heritage craft skills across all sectors – professionals, training providers, contractors, property-owners, volunteers, community groups, heritage organisations, sector skills councils and other support agencies – to try to ensure the continued preservation and sustainable use of traditional buildings.

Contact the NHTG regarding the limited special offers on membership.

About the B&CE Charitable Trust

The B&CE Charitable Trust improves the financial welfare of all those working in construction and providing workplace pensions for employers of all sizes and from all sectors. To date, it’s given out over £3 million.
The Charitable Trust aims to provide:
•    financial help for people in times of need
•    grants towards education, training and retraining
•    grants towards occupation health and safety initiatives

For more information visit: https://bandce.co.uk/the-charitable-trust/
B&CE tweet as @bandce

Contact information:

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager
Helpdesk: 07394 857123
Email: [email protected]

ENDS

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Complex Roofing Course

This course will be incorporating the geometry of a Rhineland Helmet door head and a Cruciform Kite-on-Plan roof.

Conservation and Repair of Stone Masonry

This course provides a comprehensive study of building and decorative stone from its formation and extraction through to its repair and maintenance in the building context.

Coatings and Consolidants for Masonry

There is a long heritage to both the painting of masonry and to the application of materials to attempt to consolidate decayed stone surfaces. This two-day course will start by setting out the nature and historic use of these materials.