NHTG Newsletter, March 2019

Editorial

Dear Reader

NHTG course at the ORNCEarlier this month we were delighted to receive a grant from the B&CE Charitable Trust.

The grant will be used to run a series of built heritage training courses, which will see around 86 delegates learn about historic buildings and the skills needed to maintain them. Two types of courses will be run in three different locations. The Repair and Maintenance of Traditional Pre-1919 Buildings, which is delivered over two days by leading built heritage experts, will give delegates an overview of repairing and maintaining historical buildings. This course is accredited by CITB and those who attend will receive two mandatory units towards their Level 3 NVQ in Heritage skills. It is aimed at students from construction courses preferably from low socioeconomic backgrounds. The second course is about mentoring, which will be run over one day and is of interest to crafts persons – both trainees and supervisors, builders and professionals. Participants will learn about mentoring, which is simply about a more experienced and trusted person assisting or supporting a learner or less experienced craftsperson to further develop their craft skills abilities The NHTG is grateful for the support of the B&CE Charitable Trust, as it will give the opportunity for young people to experience built heritage and help to spark enthusiasm for old buildings and potential career paths into the sector.

Bob Howard MBE, Chair of the NHTG says:

B& CE Charitable Trust Logo"We are most grateful to the B&CE Charitable Trust in receiving a £17,100 grant, which will assist the NHTG in providing the opportunity for students and contractors to receive built heritage training from experts within the field. The NHTG is always looking at ways of getting young people interested in a career within built heritage and we’re hoping this project will help to point trainees into that direction. Places will be offered preferably to those from low socioeconomic backgrounds who are already employed or are on construction courses. Without funding from charitable organisations such as the B&CE Charitable Trust courses like these would be difficult to finance, so we are very pleased to receive the grant."

Barbara Dinsdale, Head of B&CE Charitable Trust, said:

“We’re delighted to award this grant to a cause that will provide young people and those retraining with a pathway in to new careers. We can’t wait to hear about the successes of those who benefit from the training, as well as seeing the positive impact this award has on the local communities.”

We're happy to share our good news! Stay tuned to hear about the forthcoming courses we will be running.

In other news our Membership model has changed, we are now offering a two year membership term for only £100. To find out more about the benefits of becoming a members see here. If you would like to become a member, please get in touch.

With best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager
Helpdesk telephone number: 01246 252363

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Heritage Interpretation and Design

8th March, Essex

This course is aimed at anyone wanting to further their understanding in heritage interpretation and design. This will provide a valuable set of planning and development tools for helping with the unlocking of the heritage and stories associated with heritage sites and buildings to create memorable experiences for visitors.

Conservation and Repair of Architectural and Structural Ironwork

12th - 13th March, Shrewsbury

Aimed at craft practitioners and consultative professionals, this CPD course is a comprehensive introduction to the conservation of ironwork for those involved in its care, covering historical context, metallurgy of wrought iron and steels, traditional tools, techniques & materials, design & manufacture. With a focus on the processes of restoration, the course will also guide you through surface preparation and treatments, specification & standards for heritage ironwork contracts, including a procurement and pricing exercise. The lectures will be complemented by a site visit to survey historic ironwork and develop a strategy for its conservation.

Traditional sash Windows: care, repair and upgrading

14th March, Shrewsbury

This one-day course provides an introduction to traditional sliding sash windows and looks at some common faults and simple repairs together with ways to improve the thermal efficiency of timber windows without resorting to replacement windows.

The course is suitable for built environment professionals, carpenters, consultants, planning and conservation officers and building control officers.

Structural Repair of Historic Buildings

18th - 21st March, West Sussex

This course is of special value to those who wish to gain a new perspective in applying engineering principles to the conservation of historic structures. The course will be of value to architects, conservation officers, masons, carpenters and others involved in conservation, as well as to engineers.

Tyne and Wear Heritage Forum

23rd March, Newcastle

Join Tyne and Wear Heritage Forum for a day of interactive workshops, community networking and guest presentations exploring and celebrating heritage trails in the North East. Keynote Speaker - Michael Chaplin

Complex Roofing Course

25th - 29th March, Bristol

This course will be incorporating the geometry of a Rhineland Helmet door head and a Cruciform Kite-on-Plan roof. The course will combine the geometry and hopefully the manufacture of one or both of these structures. CITB funding is available for registered companies. Tutor: Alan Creasey MSc

Conservation and Repair of Stone Masonry

25th - 28th March, West Sussex

The course includes basic geology of building and decorative stone; a detailed description of decay mechanisms of limestone, sandstones, marble, slate and granite; traditional construction methods; modes of failure; large and small scale repair options; cleaning methods, surface treatment and remedial work; specification and costing.

Teaching is divided between illustrated lectures and practical instruction, making use of the Ruinette, the purpose-built structure incorporating many of the faults found in historic masonry, which enables students to practice repair and remedial techniques. These include cutting out, repairing in stone and mortar, raking out joints and repointing, preparation and placing of mortars. Instruction is provided in some basic laboratory techniques, including recognition of stone samples and analysis of mortars.

JOBS & NEWS

Job opportunity: Roofer

Ellis and Co require a heritage roofer with 5 years' experience post-qualification to join their friendly team of heritage builders.This is a full time job with good rates of pay. The responsibilities for this role include repairing historic buildings including churches, cathedrals and stately homes throughout the South West of England. A unique opportunity to work on some of the most interesting historic buildings in the South West.

Volunteer opportunity: Design Guide Volunteer Placement (Thatch), National Trust

As part of the Design Advice team you will produce case studies focussing on thatching projects within the Trust’s estate. The role will enable our consultants and property staff in the regions to share information more effectively internally, helping the Trust to reduce costs, assist with capacity and allow us to share our experience externally.

Link

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

A historic painted celingIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 0739 4857 123, is manned from 9 - 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednsday morning. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

The Prince's Foundation Summer School 2019

The Prince's Foundation Summer School enables participants to develop their knowledge of traditional architecture, design, building and repair techniques and how these can be applied in the 21st Century.

Stonemasonry for Brick layers

This course provides both practical and theoretical training for bricklayers who want to develop skills in traditional stonemasonry.

Lime plasters

An introduction to the use of lime plasters and lime mortars for homeowners and professionals working with historic buildings.