NHTG Newsletter, April 2019

Editorial

Dear Reader

Mason and site manager Manjit Phull gives a master class at Banqueting House, image copyright SSHC

This month we have been busy beginning to organise our forthcoming heritage courses, funded by the B&CE Charitable Trust. We're working with some great partners to deliver the training, more details will be coming soon.

We've had a some new members join the NHTG Membership scheme this month and they are introduced below. Our membership model has now changed and we are offering a two year membership term for only £100. To find out more about the benefits of becoming a member see here. If you would like to become a member, please get in touch.

With Spring on it's way, it's a good time to have a go at a new built heritage craft skill or to develop the skills you already have, please see below for the events and training courses coming up or search in your area here.

With best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager
Helpdesk telephone number: 01246 252363

NHTG NEW MEMBERS

The NHTG membership scheme is open to members, who work within the built heritage field. There are lots of great membership benefits you can read them here and you can see our expanding list of members in our membership directory here. If you are interested in becoming a members please email [email protected]for more information.

Armatile logoEstablished in 1975 Armatile are a multi-award winning and the leading retailer, distributor and manufacturer of tiles in Ireland and the UK. Armatile offer high quality, innovative tiling products. It has an in-house design and manufacturing plant, which houses some of the most advanced cutting technologies in the tiling industry. Armatile products have been used extensively by architects and designers throughout Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. Armatile have manufactured customised tile designs for the Stormont Castle buildings in Belfast, Cafe Royale in London, Peter Mark's Style Club in Dublin, the Burlington Hotel in Boston, and the Jumeirah Resort in Dubai. Over the past decade Armatile have also made a real name for ourselves in the renovation and restoration sector of Hertitage and conservation projects - these include churches such as St George’s Church and Clonard Monastry, both in Belfast, and the stunning St Patrick’s Cathedral in Ireland’s ecclesiastical capital, Armagh.

Brooksby Melton College
Brooksby Melton College logoBMC is Brooksby Melton College, a specialist independent college based in the heart of Leicestershire.They specialise in land-based courses practical countryside skills, countryside management, construction, joinery and brickwork. The college is keen to develop built heritage courses in the near future.

Sally Strachey Historic Conservation Ltd
Sally Strachey Historic Conservation logoSally Strachey Historic Conservation Ltd are award-winning, ICON-accredited specialists in the conservation of historic buildings, archaeology, monuments and sculpture. With over 30 years of experience Sally Strachey Historic Conservation have worked on a wide range of churches, monuments and historic sites, providing a full service from conservation reports and surveys, through to execution on site by their highly-skilled team of consultants, masons, carvers and conservators. The company operates both as main contractor, sub-contractor and as a specialist consultant in surveying and issuing conservation reports. They undertake the repair and conservation of historic fabric across a range of projects that incorporate architectural stonework, archaeological sites, museum pieces, church monuments, historic plaster and render, sculpture, polychrome and decorative surfaces.

Terrence Lee Conservation
Terrence Lee Conservation logoTerrence Lee Conservation is a Shropshire based company, dedicated to the conservation of traditional brickwork in all its forms. Terrence Lee Conservation undertakes practical brickwork conservation projects, on a diverse range of traditional buildings and structures including small, rural vernacular cottages, boundary and garden walls, canal structures, Georgian and Victorian town houses - both listed and unlisted. Clients are sympathetic owners of traditional buildings, architects, building managers and conservation professionals who are passionate about their buildings. They recognise the harm that inappropriate methods and modern materials such as cement mortars and renders have done, or can do, to traditional brick work and wish not only to retain the significance and character of their buildings but also to restore their functionality. Like Terrence Lee Conservation, they recognise the importance of an informed approach to the execution of repairs to traditional and historic buildings.

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Coatings and Consolidants for Masonry

1st - 3rd April, West Dean College of Arts and Conservation
The course will set out the important distinction between surface coatings such as paints, limewash and sealants. It will explain how consolidants such as nanolime and silanes work and provide information on how, why and when their use might be appropriate. The course will cover the various materials that are currently available and identify the benefits and drawbacks for each. As well as understanding the materials and the likely effect of their use, participants will have the opportunity to use and work with the various materials. All students on this course will receive a copy of English Heritage Practical Building Conservation: Stone.

Community Regeneration Day

6th April, Lincolnshire

Find out about the process, successes and challenges of the transformation of a Grade I listed church into a community and events centre led by a local community group.

Historic Ironwork Conservation Training Day

8th - 9th, Cumbria
The NECT are holding a training session on historic ironwork conservation which is being led by Geoff Wallis, a heritage expert in this field. There will be both theory and practical sessions, with a chance to help restore some of the historic kiln tiles that we have at the mill.

Conservation and Repair of Timber

29th April - 2nd May, West Sussex
This course begins by examining the original methods of framing and construction and then concentrates on problems, failures and methods of repair. It comprises of lectures, case studies, demonstrations, practical exercises, discussions and tours of the Weald and Downland Living Museum’s timber buildings, with particular reference to the development of timber repairs undertaken at the Museum over more than forty years. It includes lectures on fungal decay, insect attack and their conservative treatments, with current research and recent case studies on the subject.

JOBS & NEWS

Job Opportunity: Timber Conservation Carpenter/Joiner Trainer

An opportunity has arisen for a Timber Conservation Trainer to work on a short- term posting in Jimma, Ethiopia with the World Monuments Fund.

Oldest synagogue in the UK threatened by 20 storey tower

One of England's most important religious buildings, the 18th century grade I listed Bevis Marks synagogue, is under threat from plans to build a 20 storey tower next to it. SAVE Britain's Heritage has objected to plans for the tower, which would affect the setting of the synagogue, which is in London.

Link

AJ Retrofit Awards 2019 deadline extended

The AJ Retrofit Awards celebrate design, engineering and construction excellence that prolongs and improves the life of the built environment. The awards span 10 categories including housing, cultural and heritage buildings. The closing date has been extended until the 5th April 2019.  

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

A historic painted celingIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to [email protected] NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 0739 4857 123, is open from 9 - 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednsday morning. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

© 2019 The National Heritage Training Group

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Sign up for free NHTG news bulletins here

Events

Understanding Vernacular Buildings

A day school on vernacular buildings in general, materials, and the timber- framed tradition of the Marches in comparison to the South - East Region.

An Introduction to the History of Manufacture and Repair of Cast Iron

This seminar – held at the heart of the Early Industrial Revolution – will explore various aspects of the making, forming and repair of cast iron.

Introduction to Letter Carving in Stone

Join stonemason Richard Noviss on this Introduction to Letter Carving workshop taking place at Trinity Buoy Wharf in East London, organised by the Prince's Foundation.