Newsletter, June 2019

Editorial

Dear Reader

Repair and maintenance course in GreenwichThere are some brilliant courses coming up later in the year, which are worth getting in your diary now.

This includes the Repair and Maintenance of Pre-1919 Traditional Buildings course in Greenwich in September. This is an essential course, for those working within built heritage in any form: contractors, students, managers and home owners of old buildings. So we recommend you try and get a place on this course if you can! We also deliver this course to groups of 10 - 20 and it is CITB accredited, so if you are interested in us running one for you and your staff please get in touch.

The second event worth getting in the diary is Forging ahead: New Perspectives on heritage ironwork at the V&A Museum in November. This conference will be offering fresh insights into historic ironwork, new perspectives and stimulating discussion.

For events coming up next month, please see below, as the summer begins it's the perfect time to undertake some new training. A fantastic event for those with an interest in historic ironwork.

With best wishes

Sophie

Sophie Keegan
Marketing, Events and Helpdesk Manager
Helpdesk telephone number: 01246 252363

NHTG Membership Scheme

The NHTG membership scheme is open to members, who work within the built heritage field. There are lots of great membership benefits you can read them here and you can see our expanding list of members in our membership directory here. If you are interested in becoming a members please email info@the-nhtg.org.uk for more information.

EVENTS AND TRAINING

Understanding natural and mineral based paints

4th June, Yorkshire

Spend a day devoted to understanding how paints work. This day of theory and practice covers:introduction to traditional and modern mineral based paints, the Plant/Paint cycle, film forming paints and vapour permeability, demonstrations showing the use of lime washes, distempers and glass based and natural resin wall paints.

Damp and Historic Buildings

6th June, Sussex

The course discusses the importance of breathability in historic buildings, how this is achieved and can be maintained and what happens when it goes wrong. It will examine common mistakes of moisture identi

Building Limes Forum, Traditional Mortars Symposium

10th - 12th June, York

The York Symposium aims to bring together all current thinking and knowledge about traditional mortars, presenting recent research outcomes, revised heritage agency guidance and case studies from around the UK, Ireland, Spain and Canada. The speakers will be drawing upon long and more recent experience using traditional mortars for the repair and conservation of historic fabric, sharing their insights and knowledge in theory and in practice.

Understanding Vernacular Buildings

20th June, West Sussex

A day school on vernacular buildings in general, materials, and the timber- framed tradition of the Marches in comparison to the South - East Region. In the afternoon we will discuss the challenge of living in a timber- framed house from the owner's perspective, tips on energy efficiency and how to lower your building's carbon footprint.

An Introduction to the History of Manufacture and Repair of Cast Iron

21st June, Telford

This seminar – held at the heart of the Early Industrial Revolution – will explore various aspects of the making, forming and repair of cast iron, focusing on: the history of iron-making, pattern making, products, repair of cast iron and a bespoke tour of the Coalbrookdale Museum of Iron.

JOBS & NEWS

Job Opportunity: Experienced framing / conservation carpenters

Experienced framing / conservation carpenters wanted for projects in West and East Sussex from Summer 2019 onwards.

With a number of projects to carry out from Summer 2019 onwards, Manorwood are looking for experienced framing / conservation carpenters to join our team on a self employed basis.

A number of projects will be starting from Summer 2019 in both West and East Sussex and continuing through until Sumer 2020.

Carpenters should have experience of working with historic timber buildings and / or green oak framing. Own tools and transport required

Want to share your news on Traditional Building Skills and related subjects?

A historic painted celingIf you would like to propose an item for inclusion in the NHTG Newsletter, please email details to info@the-nhtg.org.uk. NHTG do not guarantee to publish any item and reserve the right to select and edit any item submitted to be considered for publication.

Subscribe to the newsletter here

Please note that the NHTG Helpdesk phone 0739 4857 123, is open from 9 - 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednsday morning. There is an Answerphone facility at other times. We aim to respond to all enquiries within five working days.

The National Heritage Training Group is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Registered Company No: 08394350. Registered Office: Centurian House, 36 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1AB

If you wish to use or quote from items in the NHTG Newsletter, always check the accuracy and current position with the source. The NHTG cannot guarantee the accuracy of, or accept any responsibility for, the contents of the NHTG Newsletter.

Events

Heritage Solid Plastering specialist applied skills programme NVQ Level 3

This programme is designed to provide practical skills, theoretical knowledge and a recognised qualification to craftspeople who are preparing to specialise in heritage plastering trades.

Understanding Repair & Maintenance of Traditional (Pre-1919) Building

Of interest to the public, historic buildings owners, crafts persons, builders and professionals – the Building Crafts College in conjunction with the Old Royal Naval College is offering 2, two-day courses on Repair & Maintenance of Traditional Buildings.

Lime mortars for traditional brickwork

The day will consist of introductory talks followed by practical demonstrations on how to make a decent lime mortar properly, so that a contractors can use it.